Bring Your Live Photos Back to Life with Motion Stills by Google!
There’s now a super easy way to turn your photos into GIFs, which can then be shared on social media or your website! Motion Stills is an app by Google that brings your Live Photos back to life with “advanced stabilisation and rendering”.
“We use our video stabilization technology to freeze the background into a still photo or create sweeping cinematic pans. The resulting looping GIFs and movies come alive, and can easily be shared via messaging or on social media.” – Google
Motion Stills provides an immersive stream experience, enabling you to create content and tell stories by combining clips.
Here’s what a live photo looks like before and after stabilisation from Motion Stills:
The app is still in early days, they current state that it isn’t working with remote iCloud photos and that a fix is on the way! Some are wondering if an Android version will be available soon as this currently is only compatible with the iOS operating system.
With Motion Stills you can browse live photos, create movies, make GIF’s and share with friends!
“The Motion Stills app is incredible — it searches through your library of Live Photos, edits them into stable images with minimal shake, and converts them into easily shareable GIFs or movie files. You can even throw the movies — complete with sound — straight to Instagram, which otherwise doesn’t support Live Photos.” – The Verge
How to create content using Motion Stills
- Firstly, download Motion Stills from the app store (Remember, currently only avaialble on the appple store).
- If you’ve no live photos on your device already, make sure the feature is activated. Simply, launch the camera app and tap the live photo button from the top centre. Tap on the shutter button to then take a live still.
- Open the Motion Stills app.
- Motion Stills needs permission to access your photos, a message will pop up requesting this. In order for the app to work, make sure you allow the app to do this.
- Now all your live photos that are on your device will appear, simply tap on any photo you wish to convert to a GIF.
- Tap the arrow icon below the picture.
- You will then have two options; send GIF or share clip.
Make sure you have Live Photos in the Camera Roll on your device. (If you don’t have, you need to launch Camera app on your iPhone 6s/6s Plus. Tap on the Live Photo button from the top center, then tap on the shutter button to take the photo.)
We offer tailored Social Media Management services – find out more here.